Friday, January 29, 2010

This is just getting ridiculous

It occurred to me that with my newly expanded topic, and a vauge enthymeme that will have to be worked on, I should actually get some things straight about what I want to write on.

Disney-I am going to stick to movies that were made exclusively by Disney, or where Disney was the leading creator in cahoots with a smaller company that doesn't do much else.  (For example, I have never heard of Silver Screen Partners before, but they worked on such favorites as Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid.  If that's not Disney, what is?)  Pixar counts as Disney.  I am going to work with popular Disney movies.  What is my definition of "popular"?  I have done some research on the highest grossing Disney movies ever.  Though I can't get the same answers twice, it gives me some parameters.  I will also just be asking everyone I know to get some other opinions.  So far, I would classify the most popular Disney films as those done by Pixar, and the classics.  Those every child knows by name.

So, I actually started going through a list of Disney movies, and I'm talking about all the way from Snow White to The Princess and The Frog.  What really surprised me was that what I considered Disney (the pure form) is mostly pretty old.  So that got me thinking: How has Disney changed its movie output over time?  I am loathe to say it, but my past argument is directed at a style of movie making that ended a while ago.  Disney is actually diversifying and making its movies less the stereotypical princess film.  Not to say that I am in complete favor of its new-found maturity.  With maturity comes greed.  How else can their growing list of truly awful straight-to-VHS or DVD sequels be explained?

That made me realize that I have no idea what my argument is anymore.  I remember asking on Twiiter whether we should chagne our opinions when confronted by better ideas.  I am being confronted by a better idea, and I am yeilding.  My WATCO is even changing.
WATCO Parents on Disney's movie output?  Claim:  Parents' standards regarding what is important for children to learn in their youth is forcing Disney to create certain kinds of movies.   Reason: These standards dictate what parents spend their money on.  What people are willing to buy, companies are willing to make to get money.  I am pretty much switiching my entire argument around so that society is to be blamed for Disney's movies; Disney is not to be blamed for society.

So, there goes another new new new new media plan.  Hopefully by next week I'll have a better grasp on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment